Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ken Gangbar

Hi, I'm going to be posting weekly blog posts for my tech class and to start off I want to share a personal favourite, artist and the inspiration for my porcelain installation. Ken Gangbar, is an artist who's work was introduced to me by my teacher, Thanks Miss! He has totally wowed me and I would love to share a little about him...

Ken is an artist who creates ceramic sculptures. Ken doesn't really use a specific method to create his sculptures and installations. His work is based on exploring new ideas and experimentation. His work is phenomenal, it gives a very exhilarating, but calm and content feeling. Ken uses a variety of organic shapes and different materials to create his work. Ken has shown versatility in a variety of ways: he has worked with materials like; porcelain, glass, metal, and wood and he has worked for clients such as: Rockwell Group, NY, Starwood Hotels, and Chapman Design Group, Toronto. He also has a studio in Toronto; KEN GANGBAR STUDIO INC. 50 CARROLL ST #101 TORONTO ON M4M 3G3 PH. 416-532-4284 Take a look around his site, who knows you may also become inspired.

I was introduced to Ken's work last semester, I knew nothing about him or his work but I saw a few pictures of pieces by him. I was inspired by his style and his work, After seeing his work, I became excited to make my porcelain installation.

I recently have had a chat with him through e-mail and I was afraid at first, but he's very friendly, down to earth and easy to talk to. I asked him a few questions;

What is the inspiration for your work ?

Nature, natural forces

What did you want to do as a child ?

archiologist

What is your background in the arts ?

in the blood, Sheridan college

What did you study before your present career ?

native studies, comparative development studies

Have you worked in any other careers/industries before thins one ?

With young offenders in a wilderness program, personal attendant care work, sales

What is your biggest accomplishment ?

sometimes just getting through a day! 2008

What is your favourite piece of art either that you created of someone else ?

no favorites

What advise would you give to young people who are aspiring artist ?

invite a mentor into your life, build relationships, become part of a creative group, peers are very important,

What’s your favourite food ?

Had sushi tonight. Many favorites


Ken's work is spontaneous, which is cool. The installations and sculptures he makes can be appreciated by people of all walks of life and I truly admire that. His work is very unique, satisfying to look at and I think it's amazing that despite being very calm and peaceful it has bold, striking, eye-catching quality to it.

Work Cited
kengangbar.com. 2/18/10. www.kengangbar.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment